OPSO Investigation Leads to Arrest

On 2/26/13, OPSO deputies responded to a 9-1-1 call from the victim stating that he had been shot. Deputies tracked the GPS location of the phone and began to respond. Deputies located the victim and the suspect, Fredrick L. Jones, on Hwy 594 just past the Frontage Road in Monroe. The victim was transported to a local hospital where he was treated for a gunshot wound in his mouth.

The victim provided deputies with a statement at the hospital. He advised that he and Jones went to a location off of Frontage Road to have sex. Once at the location, Jones brandished a weapon and forced the victim out of the car. Jones told the victim to give him all of his money but the victim had none. Jones then shot the victim in the face. Jones then drove the vehicle in a direction away from the hospital. The victim feared that Jones was going to dump him in the woods so the victim jumped from the moving vehicle.

At some point during the next few moments, Jones ran over the victim causing injuries to the victim’s legs. Jones then attempted to flee but wrecked the vehicle. Jones exited the vehicle at which point the victim armed himself with a stick for protection. Jones told the victim to tell police someone else shot him. When the victim agreed, Jones gave him the gun.

Jones and the victim have been in a sexual relationship for five months and they were in the process of ending it. Jones was taken into custody at the scene and transported to the Ouachita Parish Courthouse Annex were he was questioned.

The suspect, Fredrick Jones, advised that he and the victim were ending their relationship and they went to an unknown location to be together one last time. As they were getting in the back seat, the victim brandished a gun and threatened to kill himself. Jones advised that he then grabbed the gun in an attempt to disarm the victim and the gun went off. Jones then put the victim into the car.

They continued their argument and when Jones refused to continue the relationship, the victim jumped from the vehicle. Jones advised that he then backed up and ran over something but did not know what it was. He then attempted to turn around but since he does not know how to drive, he wrecked the vehicle.

When confronted with the victim’s statement, Jones refused to give any further statements and requested a lawyer. Jones was then transported to the Ouachita Correctional Center to be booked on the listed charges.

Jones was charged with one count of Attempted Armed Robbery and one count of Attempted Second Degree Murder. The victim is in a local hospital in stable condition.