Sheriff Russell Offers Home Safety Tips for the Holiday Season
Sheriff Jay Russell reminds everyone not to let the rush and excitement of the holiday season make you careless in protecting your home from potential criminals.
Sheriff Russell and the Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Office offer the following tips that can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
- Discard empty boxes of large items, such as electronics, at an appropriate location..not in front of your residence advertising new items are present.
- When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.
- Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
- If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.
- Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.