Sheriff Russell Offers Child Safety Tips for Holiday Shopping Season
Sheriff Jay Russell cautions parents that the holidays can present potentially dangerous situations for children. Some simple prevention measures can help keep your children safe during the holiday season. Sheriff Russell and the Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Office offer the following tips on child safety during the holiday shopping season.
- If possible, leave small children at home with a trusted babysitter.
- Teach your child to go to a store clerk and ask for help in case your child is separated from you.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times while shopping.
- Never allow children to make unaccompanied trips to the restroom.
- Children should never be allowed to go to the car alone and they should never be left alone in the car.
- Teach children their full name, address and telephone number to give to police officers or mall security. Teach children to immediately inform you if a stranger is bothering them.