OPSO Public Shooting Range
The Ouachita Parish Public Range has facilities accommodating archery, pistols, rifles (up to 200 yards) and also Five-Stand Trap Shooting. The Archery Range was updated during the summer of 2020. We believe those using it will like the new changes.
Within the grounds of the Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Office Training Center and Public Range lies the OPSO Archery Park. This park was built by OPSO with the assistance of local businesses with the goal of bringing a first class archery facility to the Ouachita Parish area for the public’s use. The archery park consists of 7 bag targets with marked known distances ranging from 15 to 60 yards.
Range personnel are available to assist archers if needed.
ELEVATED SHOOTING – The park has a 12 foot high shooting deck equipped with staircases and safety railing for elevated shooting. This site can be used year round for hunting style shots and is set up with 3D targets and bag targets.
LONG DISTANCE SHOTS – This area is set up with a special shooting pad that has 3 long range large targets to choose from, ranging from 40 to 60 yards. It is located in the area near the far end of the range.
All archers are asked to check in to the park at the Public Rifle range located at the far end of the facility.
BROADHEAD USE IS PROHIBITED
Click the link below for a video tour of the Archery Range:
Basic Range Procedures
1. No weapons are allowed in the Range House! NO EXCEPTIONS!
2. When a shooter signs in to use the range, he/she agrees to follow all safety rules.
3. Take only one target frame down range. Be sure you bring your target frame back in before leaving the firing line.
4. Law Enforcement Officers will be governed by the same rules and regulations as the public shooters.
5. NO alcohol or drugs allowed on this facility.
6. NO smoking or use of tobacco products is allowed on the firing line.
7. Shooters less than 16 years of age must have adult supervision with range safety knowledge.
8. Eye and ear protection is required on the firing line when the line is “Hot”, NO EXCEPTIONS!
9. It is the shooter’s responsibility to know that ALL cased weapons and magazines are safe and unloaded.
10. If you have a weapon that the action will not stay locked open, ask the Range Officer to show you the “SPENT BRASS TRICK”.
11. NEVER touch, handle, pick up or load a weapon on the shooting table or bench when the firing line has been declared “COLD”. NO EXCEPTIONS!
12. When the line is “COLD”, stand behind the yellow line. If you go down range, observe this “YELLOW LINE” rule when you return. You may go back to the table/bench ONLY when the command “LINE IS HOT” has been given.
13. Shooters are responsible for policing litter, cartridge cases, etc. from around his/her shooting table/bench.
14. Shooters who damage or destroy Range Property, intentional or not, are liable for the cost of the repair or replacement of the property.
15. The Range Master will make all decisions for the closing of the Range due to bad weather or hazardous conditions.
16. The violation of any Range Safety Rule is grounds for immediate expulsion from the facility with forfeiture of any fees or monies paid. Severe or repeated violations may result in loss of membership and permanent exclusion.
Firing Line Safety Rules
1. Only shooters and coaches are allowed on the firing line.
2. Obey all Range Officer’s commands immediately.
3. If you do not understand a range command or have a question, ask a Range Officer for help.
4. Range Officers will assign shooters a table or bench on the firing line.
5. Do not go past the red line until told to do so by a Range Officer.
6. Eye and ear protections must be in place to go on the firing line.
7. Carry firearms with the actions open, magazines out, slide locked to the rear or cylinders open.
8. Carry rifles, muzzle loaders or shotguns with the muzzle up and above head level.
9. Safety is EVERYONE’S job. Report unsafe acts to a Range Officer immediately!
Shooting Range*……………..$10 per day/$100 per year
Archery*………………………..$5 per day/$50 per year
Five-Stand Trap Shoot……….$7 per round (25 throws)
*Veterans, Law Enforcement, and Senior Citizens (65+) FREE
Hours of Operation
Effective September 15, 2020:
Sunday & Monday: Range Closed
Tuesday-Friday: 1100 a.m. until 7 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Map to the Range