Ouachita Parish Sheriff Jay Russell Offers Holiday Driving & Shopping Safety Tips
Sheriff Jay Russell would like to remind drivers that driving on shopping trips during the holidays requires some extra safety precautions.
The holiday season is a time when busy people can become careless and vulnerable to theft and other holiday crime. The following tips from Sheriff Russell and the Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Office can help you be more careful, prepared and aware during the holiday season.
- Avoid driving alone or at night.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. This creates a temptation for thieves. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse, handbag and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car in order to open the door.
- When approaching and leaving your vehicle be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not approach your car alone if there are suspicious people in the area.
- Ask mall or store security for an escort before leaving your shopping location.